Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Example, Time Allocation, and Socially Acceptable Behaviors

Marie Claire (19 months) taught me a lesson on the power of example and time allocation today.

I had all the kids with me today and we had just dropped Jonah off for tutoring and we had 45 minutes before Abe had to be to swim lessons. Since it was early in the morning we decided to just chill in the car for a while. Abe and I both put our seats back and I got Marie Claire out of her car seat and put her on my lap/stomach to play while I sat back and relaxed. She proceeded to grab the steering wheel the exact same way as I do 90% of the time and then every so often she would lean over and pretend to shift gears.

I had never thought about how much she watches me while we drive around town together. Although I am excited that I am all ready grooming the future generation of drivers, it made me stop and think about all the other times she is probably watching me and learning from what I do. The one other thing I thought of is how much of our time we spend in the car together.

My other story of the day revisits time allocation but mostly covers socially acceptable behaviors.

Tonight I had Anatomy lecture from 5:30-8:00. Of course as with most classes that run that long we are given a five minute break to stretch, grab a drink, and use the bathroom. I had been feeling a little dehydrated before class so I had been loading up on water during class. I went to the restroom and proceeded with the usual business (I apologize if this is a little too much detail). Well, a girl from my class enters the stall next to me. What do I hear next? Her having a conversation with her husband on the phone! I can appreciate her desire to spend the little bit of free time with her husband, but I most definitely did not appreciate feeling like he was also in the bathroom with me!

No comments: