Sunday, September 21, 2008

Nature and Ward Sponsered Activities

On Thursday Abe (10yrs) started looking for bugs. He said that his class was paired up with a younger class through a mentoring program at their school and they were supposed to be looking for insects to bring to school to study. He solicited my help in finding and catching the bugs. He found a spider in their garage that he wanted to study-yes he and I both recognize that spiders are not technically insects. The big spider had this sack hanging in its web.




Friday afternoon we headed down to BYU's Timp Lodge up by Sundance for our ward retreat. Cambree and I wanted to be there early so we could hike around a little bit and have first claim on a bed for the night, and we had volunteered to help with dinner prep.
The lodge has 64 beds. All singles, with some bunks. They are all in three large rooms that are all connected to each other. We determined which looked the most private and set up our stuff I ended up with a bottom bunk by a window and Cambree was in a single bed next to me. When the other two people arrived I asked the one girl if she had staked her claim on a bed yet. Her response, "yep, the bed above yours!" Seriously?! Of all the 62 beds she had to choose from, she felt compelled to take the one above me! Then she didn't come to bed till 2:15. So needless to say I didn't get to sleep till after that. However, other then the lack of sleep, I had a really great time up there.
In the morning I snapped this picture of the mountain from the parking lot.




As many of you know I am on the mingles committee in my ward. The translation of that for those who are not familiar with that calling - each sunday, our committee plans a little snack for the ward to enjoy, which leads to people lingering after chruch and mingling with each other, thus the title, "mingles committee". Today we are having a boys vs. girls bakeoff mingle. A while ago I saw a creative idea for cupcakes in Parents magazine and I decided today was the perfect opportunity to make them.

Preschool type things really make me happy. I really enjoyed making these.
For those who may want to recreate this culinary delight.

1. Bake up your favorite cupcakes.

2. Frost with your favorite frosting.

3. Top with your favorite yellow and white jelly belly flavors-

I choose pina colada, coconut, and A&W cream soda

4. Apply small dab of frosting to yellow starburst candy and put on top your ear

5. Don't forget the corn on the cob holders.



6 comments:

CommonMama said...

You should totally win, those are really cool.

CommonMama said...

And now for the second comment...awesome mountain photo, and how did they segregate the males and females at this outing...

Cyndie said...

Those are totally cute corn on the cobs!! That retreat thing sounded a bit scandalous. I guess it is probably no different from our singles ward campout years ago when some couples went off my themselves to camp. Naughty...

Me said...

Sooooo coool. You put me to shame

Ashley said...

Hey there-I have some news but you'll have to go to my website. he he

www.ichliebejankes.blogspot.com

Talk to you soon!!

Melody said...

corn on the cob cupcakes-genius! they look like they were very tasty